Starting Healthy New Habits Can Help you Quit Smoking.
You are taking a big step toward a new, healthier life. It’s true that many people gain some weight when they stop smoking, but this is not always the case. Keep in mind that the average weight gain is less than 10 pounds. Exercise and healthy eating can stop most, if not all, of the weight gain associated with nicotine withdrawal. The benefits of being tobacco free far outweigh the possibility of gaining a few extra pounds. If you are worried about gaining weight, there are some things you can do to stay fit and smokefree!
EAT HEALTHY FOODS
Try to make healthy food choices at every meal. Any small changes will help. Here are some tips to help you stay fit while curbing cravings for nicotine:
- Replace high-calorie foods with healthy, low-calorie choices.
- Look for low-calorie foods that are high in vitamins and minerals, such as yogurt and fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Eat sugar-free candy or juice pops, or chew sugar-free gum.
- Choose foods that take longer to eat and keep your hands busy, such as oranges or sunflower seeds in the shell.
- Try crunchy foods so your mouth has to work—like pretzels, rice cakes or air-popped popcorn without butter.
- Drink water during and between meals.
- Pick foods that have less fat and sugar, such as low-fat frozen yogurt.
- For more information on how to eat healthy foods, talk to your doctor or a nutritionist, and check out easy ways to get and stay healthy at ShapeYourFutureOK.com.
GET IN SHAPE
- Try to make time to be active every day. Adults should aim for 30 minutes of moderate physical activity most days of the week. Struggling to find 30 minutes? Exercise can be split into short 10-minute spurts throughout the day and still offer the same health benefits as 30 minutes at one time.
- Most exercise will help you burn calories and control weight gain. When you talk to your doctor about quitting, ask about exercises or activities that can get you back on the road to being fit. Find activities that you like to do and that will fit into your day. Try taking the stairs, parking farther away from your destination or stretching during breaks.
- Other activities include:
- Walking or running
- Martial arts, such as karate
If you are still worried about gaining weight, here are some links that might help: