No matter what you’re going through, best friends support each other every step of the way.
Have a friend who is thinking about quitting tobacco? Check out ways you can be supportive below.
- Quitting tobacco is hard. Don’t lecture or be judgmental.
- Ask what you can do to help them quit.
- Be patient and positive.
- Be sensitive to their moods, especially during the first few days or weeks after they quit.
- Offer distractions. Suggest smokefree activities you can do together to take their minds off cravings, like walking, shopping or going to a movie.
- Help them celebrate their successes.
- If they slip up, continue to encourage them.
- If you use tobacco, avoid using it around them. Or better yet, join them in their effort to quit!