TIPS FOR SLIPS
Quitting tobacco is a process, and slips are common. These moments can feel discouraging, but they can happen to anyone. The important thing is keep trying to reach your goal of a tobacco-free life and recognizing what caused your slip in the first place. From there, you can take the steps you need to stay on your tobacco-free journey. Remember, no one’s perfect and quitting tobacco is a process. Here are some tips for dealing with a slip:
- Learn new ways for managing tobacco cravings.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself. A slip doesn’t mean you have failed. Learn what caused you to slip then you will be prepared for next time and get back on track.
- Think about all the success you’ve had. What can you build on? What can you adjust?
- Get right back to your tobacco-free routine. Don’t give up on your goals.
- Use nicotine replacement therapy (NRT). NRTs increase your chances of success.
- Get support from friends or family. Talk it out. You are not alone.
Need some nonjudgmental support? Talk to a Quit CoachTM at 1-800-QUIT NOW or join the online community at OKhelpline.com.